Monday, January 20, 2014

NEVER GIVE UP PART I


Sometimes I want to give up. Give up on what, you ask? Well, on ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, for starters. But more specifically, I'm always cycling through periods where I want to give up on my aspirations and dreams. What are my dreams? My dreams are to make a living on my writing (memoir, plays, poetry, articles, reviews, blogs, a little short fiction) while traveling around as an art and literature loving nomad. Oh, and to do this in a way that's not leaving me living penny to penny as I have done, oh, let's see, yes, that's right, since birth.

But lately, as happens every so often, I want to give up. I find myself curled up in bed, in an alarming state of un-showeredness, watching Netflix rather than doing work. I find myself making lists of things to get done and then aimlessly wandering on Facebook instead, when normally I am an absolute slave to my To Do Lists. I find myself bullying myself and beating myself about the head and shoulders with words such as "Failure." I find myself water boarding myself with my own frustrated tears, which is technically impossible to do, but you get the picture. And, I find myself giving in to all the messages of the outside world that tell me I should just stick to the status quo where it's safe and secure – where one is far less likely to end up dying in the gutter clutching a sack of notebooks and leaking pens.

Everyone's got hopes, aspirations, and dreams – whether that is to travel the world, write a book, become a singer, get a real estate license, put your kids through college, put yourself through college, or just to be able to feed your family three healthy meals a day. OR just to somehow find a sweet piece of happiness in this crazy ole world. 

Everyone hopes, and everyone gives up hope. 

The trick is not that we must require ourselves to stay positive every second of every day and never consider giving up, because that's really, as far as I can tell, an unobtainable goal. The trick is, as soon as is possible, to then turn back around and Give Up On Giving Up. To pull up those boot straps and climb back in that blazing, golden saddle of dreams and possibilities. Now, please note that I'm allowed to spout annoyingly inspirational things such as this because I'm not some millionaire with a $300 hair cut. I'm down here in the trenches wearing long johns and sporting a head of hair that I've been cutting myself for the past 20 years.  

So on to more inspiration spouts.

I've just barely begun my boot straps operation as of yesterday, so I thought I'd share a couple thoughts below to encourage anyone else who is currently languishing in the icy grips of discouragement.

1) Sometimes, the most satisfying way to encourage ourselves is to give encouragement to someone else who needs it, so look around and scout out a person who could use a kind word. They're everywhere.

2) Right now, write down in your day planner one thing that you could do to start moving again toward your goals. What's the one thing that first comes to you as being one strong step you could take today? Now, write that down and set to doing it as soon as possible. Yesterday, I wrote down that I could revise a pitch letter for an article that I was working on. I revised the pitch and then sent it today.

3) If your step is a big step, take a moment and write directly under it all the micro-steps you would need to take to accomplish the big step. Now write one micro-step on each day of the week in the planner. Begin doing the first one now. Today. See, now we're cookin with heat!

4) Here are a few quotes about not giving up to get you stoked:

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, til it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time the tides will turn."

"If you really believe in what you're doing, work hard, take nothing personally, and if something blocks one route, find another. Never give up."
Laurie Notaro

"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, face the facts." Ruth Gordon

"Never give up. Never give up. Never give up!" Winston Churchill


Finally, I have some vision of people leaving their stories of not giving up in the comments, so please feel free to share that or anything else! Now go forth and prosper, friends, and, you guessed it: Never Give Up!

If you like this post, you may also like:

Never Give Up II (Inspired Version):
http://corpsewander.blogspot.com/2014/02/never-give-up-part-ii-inspired-version.html

Excerpt #1 From my Memoir:

The State of My Union

Why I Decided to Self-Publish and Other Tales of Doom and Angelic Hope






SO YOU WANNA DO THE JIVE TURKEY WITH THE NOMADIC WRITER:



* You may wanna read my memoir about growing up in a trailer park and leaving home early, then wandering around – Corpses Rarely Wander: How I Became a Loveless, Trailer Park Nomad, on Kindle here: http://amzn.to/M2eix0

Or in paperback here: https://www.createspace.com/4418318

Or my Book of Poems about wandering and love – Two Birds and a Wolf, 
on Kindle here: http://amzn.to/1dsMfN8
Or in paperback here: https://www.createspace.com/4409014


* I invite you to follow my blog. Look to the right for options. I've just joined "Networked Blogs," so you can now like me on there to make it easier to follow me. You can also follow by RSS or by email.


* I invite you to join me on FB and Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/CynthiaPolutanWriter


* I LOVE any "Likes"/ FB shares/ Retweets/Google + one's, so I thank you in advance! 






4 comments:

  1. I very much enjoyed this blog post. Thanks for the encouragement, support and inspiration. I appreciate your words of wisdom. As a fellow writer in lifes daily struggle I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm a writer masquerading as a museum security guard. I aspire to be Zora Neale Hurston and Charles Kuralt journeying across the U.S. taking quirky photographs and writing stories. In your free moments please accompany me a Sister Scribe on my Fantastic Voyage called Espiritu en Fuego ~ http://dancingpalmtrees.com/2014/01/02/abs-solution/

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping in, fiery sister scribe! I just followed your RSS feed. :) May you have the fortitude to do everything it takes to bring your dreams to fruition, and may all your visions of travel photography, sculpted abs, and written narratives come true!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful day when you can stumble across someone with similar dreams and aspirations (and frustrations) and strategies for progress. Once you realize the trick to those not-so-productive moments is baby steps, even when you're not sure what step 2 needs to be, the rest is just about maintaining movement. Your outline of just how to get that going is very similar to what has been working for me lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy. I couldn't be happier to have contributed to your beautiful day. :) When floundering, it's absolutely ALL about the micromovements. After I do step one, the rest just seems to come to me, so that even if takes me a while to get my verve back, i just go into an automatic pilot of forward momentum. Nice to know someone else out there is following that strategy at the same time. :) Feel free to drop a line anytime. I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete